Online dating is becoming more mainstream. We don’t really ask anymore whether it is an acceptable way to seek love or companionship. Instead, questions come up with singles wondering what are the key things to know about how to have a positive dating experience when using the sites.
For this very reason, I reached out to my friend Sarah Fanning, an advice columnist from Lovestruck in London, England for her best advice for my friends – my Citizens of the Online DatingToad Kingdom.
We both agreed on many of the basics with dating sites: honesty, integrity, chivalry, courtship … And Sarah was kind enough to write a guest post for us here in the Toad Kissing world. Friends, please meet the lovely and smart Ms. Sarah Fanning.
Sarah says …
Online dating has become almost a necessity in today’s fast-paced world. There are a multitude of sites to choose from that promise to match you with your soul mate. Being a traditional girl myself, I’d like to provide you five rules for traditional dating in an online world:
- Prepare Your Profile: Remember to ”sell” yourself when writing your profile because it is the first thing that someone sees when clicking on your name. Take a few minutes of preparation and think about what makes you who you are. List your most attractive characteristics. Do not focus on your shortcomings or flaws. This can be an extreme show of insecurity.
- Be Safe: There are a lot of strange people in the world who hide behind the internet. When dabbling in the cyber world, be very careful. Never give your full name or your home address. Make sure pictures you post have been cropped to cut out any identifying information such as license plate numbers or street names that may be visible in the background. Photos that include your children should never be included in an online profile.
- Be Honest: Most men will say that their dream woman is a Barbie doll or playboy model and women say that they want a Brad Pitt lookalike. The truth is that everyone is looking for that other person who can make them feel good about themselves and happy to be together. Focus on what characteristics of a person you are looking for, such as enjoying a good sense of humour rather than just physical attractions. Do not lie about yourself, especially your age, height, and weight. You will eventually meet this other person who may not appreciate your lack of honesty.
- Use Recent Photos: There is nothing worse than meeting someone who scarcely resembles the picture that they have been associating with the possible person of their dreams. If you post a photo is that is more than six months old, be sure to state that. But make sure your profile photo was taken within the last three months.
- Remember: Conversation is Key: Come prepared for your first conversation. Do not just talk about yourself. Ask questions that leave room for further discussion. Be sure not to make it a venting session of complaints. Show the other person that you are lively and know how to laugh at a good joke, but you are responsible and secure in your own right.
I hope you enjoy these tips from the London dating scene. Please stop over and show Sarah your appreciation at http://www.lovestruck.com/london/
About Sarah: Sarah currently works for [Lovestruck] and completely understands the nerves that people get when they experience something new like dating online. It can be scary and intimidating but with a positive attitude, you might meet that special someone. For those who are unaware, Lovestruck is a UK online dating website.
Coming next week … my best answers to the 5 Top Reader Questions in Online Dating