Great work, ladies! You’re online dating and you’ve met Mr. Full of Possibilities through an Online Dating Site. But guess what, sweetheart? You’re eventually going to get to the dreaded Q&A session that inevitably comes from wanting to know more about Mr. Maybe The One.
Just so happens that Heidi Lee thought you may be struggling with this topic, so she reached within the Toad Kingdom and asked for my advice.
I’m Eric, and as hopefully a Frog rather than a Toad, I’m thrilled to be able to share a few pointers to help you in your journey.
First and most importantly – you don’t want questions too personal, too hard, too desperate, or how shall I say this? … well, too blunt.
However, you would also like to know what the guy is about, so you can cut him short if he’s a dud.
Be honest, ladies. How many guys have you asked about their favorite band? Dull!
More boring yet …”What do you do for a living?” Statistics show that men grow tired of answering the same-old questions on the first date, and they especially don’t like to be put into a corner about their careers.
Gals, you’re in luck. It just so happens that I AM one of those guys you might want to meet, and I’m here to share a few secrets with you.
1. What about me first caught your attention? This is a straight-forward question that will give the sincere/good guy the opportunity to shimmer in the sunlight, and the insincere/bad ones the invitation to bumble through their pre-written answers, and end up looking like a jerk. Make sure that you are talking to a real guy who has time to answer you.
2. What is something that most women don’t understand about men? This will give you a hint, as to any past problems he’s had in relationships, as well as any unrealistic expectations or demands he tends to place on women. Let him tell you his insecurities, before finding them out yourself.
3. What is the most exciting purchase you made this year? Mine was… Fights about finance area big deal breaker in all relationships. If you have a certain style of saving or spending money, it is probably a good idea to make sure that a guy can hang with that. Frugal partners don’t get along with spendthrifts, and vice versa. To throw him off, answer the question, before awaiting his turn.
4. What does it take to achieve a good relationship? In other words, what are his values, goals, and interests in maintaining a close, intimate relationship? This question will also give you a hint as to his level of maturity, and what you could probably expect from a long-term relationship with him.
5. If a relationship does not work out for you, how do you usually end it? This will tell you how much he is willing to invest in a partnership. Guys who are in it just for fun, don’t think about ending a relationship, as they have no plan of getting into one in the first place.
6. What was your most embarrassing moment? Studies show that humor is essential in every relationship. You don’t have to be a comedian. However, it is important that you can at least laugh at yourself when the moment calls for it.
7. What do you think is the best thing about being single? In other words, how ready is he to get off the market? It’s great to be content in bachelorhood. However, if he gushes over his lifestyle too much, he may not be willing to give it up. Just beware of this before investing any significant time.
8. What is your idea of the perfect first date? Few questions can really get to the heart of romance within a guy more than this one. If you’re wondering if he is a ‘flowers and candlelight’ type of guy, or a ‘take you back to his apartment’ after the second drink? This is where you’ll get the first hint.
9. Does your family live nearby? How often do you get to see them? Some partners are the family- type, and others are not. However, rarely will the two fit together in harmony, unless they both have similar ideas about what a family is. If you love your family, and want your partner to love them too; make sure he is a ‘family guy’.
10. Can we swap tomorrow’s date for a different day? Easy going guys are the best type to have, especially for the women with kids (or planning to have them someday). It is important to know that a guy can roll with the punches, or in this case, that he can roll with a change of plans, which is frequently necessary when you have more than just two people to satisfy.
Try the questions out when you’re dreading the Q&A rounds with your would-be Prince Charmings. I can tell you for certain that a lady with interesting questions certainly catches my eye.